Internship General Info
Co-operative Internship Program (MGMT 3000)
Students who are working on jobs that directly relate to their academic major or occupational goal may receive elective unit credit for work with employers approved by the intern director. Students may be working part-time, full-time, off-campus, or on-campus in either paid or volunteer positions.
The Co-operative Education/Internship Program is open to sophomores, juniors and seniors. Generally, students working part-time may receive up to three (3) hours of credit per semester; however, those students who receive special approval may earn up to six (6) hours of credit on a full-time basis. Students receive co-op credit only during the semester that they work. Co-op credit will not be given retroactively. Only six (6) hours of Co-operative Education credit will count toward the graduation requirement as business elective credit. Three (3) credit hours may substitute as an elective in the major program, but not for a major requirement. Grading is on a Pass/Fail basis.
In order to earn credit for work experience, the following guidelines must be met:
1) Students must gain approval by the Internship Director (The Career Development Center) and complete the internship information sheet in order to register. The Career Development Center will authorize the student in Banner and then the student can complete the registration process.
2) A student must register for Co-operative Education (MGT 3000) at the same cost per hour.
3) The student's job MUST relate to his/her educational and/or occupational goals.
4) The student must be in good standing with the university in order to be eligible for the Co-operative Education/Internship Program. No student may be enrolled in the Co-operative Education/Internship Program if he/she is on probation with Belmont University.
5) The employer must be willing to enter the training agreement with Belmont University and complete a performance evaluation.
6) Internship credit may be earned during the fall and spring semesters:
10 hours of work per week = 1 unit of credit.
12 hours of work per week = 2 units of credit.
15 hours of work per week = 3 units of credit.
18 hours of work per week = 4 units of credit.
22 hours of work per week = 5 units of credit.
30 hours of work per week = 6 units of credit.
7) A student, who receives special approval, may earn six hours of credit for working on a full-time basis during the fall or spring semesters.
8) The summer internship term spans both summer sessions.
15 hours of work per week = 1 unit of credit.
18 hours of work per week = 2 units of credit.
22 hours of work per week = 3 units of credit.
27 hours of work per week = 4 units of credit.
33 hours of work per week = 5 units of credit.
40 hours of work per week = 6 units of credit.