Dr. Jennifer Wilgus Fowler
Associate Professor of Economics and Music Business
Email: Dr. Jennifer Fowler
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - Middle Tennessee State University, Economics
- M.A. - Middle Tennessee State University, Economics / Finance
- B.B.A. - Middle Tennessee State University, Business Administration
- Assistant Professor of Economics and Music Business, Belmont University
- Assistant Professor of Economics with Entertainment Industry Focus, Belmont University
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Marian University
- Assistant Director, Heart of Tennessee Chapter of American Red Cross
- Financial Analyst, Northern Telecom, Inc.
- Fowler, J., Fowler, S., & Hicks, R. (2013). A Historical Investigation of Patterns in Sophomore Album Release. Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association (MEIEA) Journal, 13 (1), 61-74.
- Fowler, S. J. & Fowler, J. J. (2012). The Case for Intensive Skill-Biased Technological Change. Journal of Economics and Economic Education Research (JEEER), 13 (2), 67-96.
- Fowler J. & Fowler, S. (2011). A Quantitative Analysis of Entertainment Consumption: 1984-2009. MEIEA Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1.
- Fowler J. & Wacholtz, L. (2011). The Whoop Curve: Predicting Entrepreneurial and Financial Opportunities in the Performing Arts. Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1.
SELECTED HONORS & AWARDS
- Academy of Economics & Economic Education Distinguished Research Award for The Case for Skill-Biased Technological Change (2011)
- Academy of Entrepreneurship Distinguished Research Award for The Whoop Curve: Predicting Entrepreneurial and Financial Opportunities in the Performing Arts (2010)
- Jack C. Massey College of Business Service Award, Belmont University (2010)
- Nomination for the Chaney Distinguished Professor Award, Belmont University (2010)
- Excellence in Academic Advising Award, Mike Curb College of Entertainment & Music Business, Belmont University (2008)
Dr. Jennifer Fowler is an associate professor of economics and music business at Belmont University. She teaches courses for the Jack C. Massey College of Business and the Curb College of Entertainment and Music Business. A native Tennessean, Jennifer earned her Ph.D. in 2005 in the field of economics from Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. She also holds a MA degree in economics and finance as well as a BBA from the same institution. Professor Fowler's teaching and research interests include entertainment industry economics, consumer expenditures, and macroeconomic theory. She has published in the International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, MEIEA Journal, the Journal of Economics and Economic Education, the Academy of Entrepreneurship Journal, and currently has a paper under revise and resubmit at Economic Modelling. Dr. Fowler recently completed economic impact studies for the Nashville Zoo and the Nashville Chapter of the Recording Academy. Additionally, she completed a white paper for City National Bank entitled Georgia Film Study and Industry Analysis. Dr. Fowler has been quoted in The Tennessean newspaper and the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's Economic Educator publication on entertainment related issues and was recently asked by the U.S. State Department to speak to visiting dignitaries about the Nashville Music Industry. She is currently involved in research with respect to entertainment mergers, intermediation in the music industry, and artist/label optimization behavior. She serves as an economic consultant to the advocacy committee of the Nashville Chapter of the Recording Academy and is a member of the American Economic Association, the Southern Economic Association, the Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association, Beta Gamma Sigma honorary society, and Phi Kappa Phi honorary society. Prior to coming to Belmont University, Dr. Fowler worked as a research associate in the Business and Economic Research Center at Middle Tennessee State University where she worked on economic studies including the Tennessee Business Retention and Expansion Program, the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce Workforce Survey, the 1997 U.S. Figure Skating Championship Music City USA, the Cumberland County Playhouse Economic Impact Study, and the Economic Impact of the Arts in Tennessee. Professor Fowler attends the World Outreach Church in Murfreesboro, Tennessee where she serves as a Welcome Team Greeter and volunteers for community events such as the Harvest Hoedown, Christmas Giftwrap, and Easter Celebrations. She enjoys travel, especially if it is near the ocean, golf, reading, live music, and just having fun!