Dr. Jeff Overby
Dr. Jeff Overby
Associate Professor of Marketing and International Business
Director, Center for International Business
Email: Dr. Jeff Overby
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - University of Tennessee, Marketing
- M.B.A. - Millsaps College, Marketing/International Business
- B.S. - Mississippi State University, French/International Business
- Global Mindset Inventory (GMI) Certified
- Assistant Professor, Belmont University
- Researcher/Instructor/Ph.D. Candidate, University of Tennessee
- Assistant Professor, Florida State University
- Marketing Research Analyst, Entergy Corporation
- International Project Manager, Entergy Corporation
- Overby, J. W. (2010). Genesee & Wyoming: A Railroad Down Under?'. The CASE Journal.
- Overby, J. W. (2007). Wine Consumption and Customer Value: An Investigation of the Influence of the Situational and Cultural Contexts. Revue Marketing & Communication.
- Dabholkar, P. & Overby, J. W. (2006). An Investigation of Real Estate Agent Service to Home Sellers: Relevant Factors and Attributions. The Service Industries Journal, 26 (5), 557-579.
- Overby, J. W. & Lee, E. (2006). The Effects of Utilitarian and Hedonic Online Shopping Value on Consumer Preference and Intentions. Journal of Business Research, 59 (10-11), 1160-1166.
SELECTED HONORS & AWARDS
- Nominated for Chaney Distinguished Professor Award, Belmont University (2009)
- Nominated for Chaney Distinguished Professor Award, Belmont University (2008)
- Nominated for Chaney Distinguished Professor Award, Belmont University (2007)
- Plaque of Appreciation, Florida State University International Business Association (2003)
- Outstanding Teaching Award Nominee, University of Tennessee Jack C. Massey College of Business (1999)
- SMA Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Society for Marketing Advances (1999)
- CLM Doctoral Consortium, Council of Logistics Management (1997)
Dr. Jeffrey W. Overby currently serves as Director of the Center for International Business and Associate Professor of Marketing at Belmont University. His responsibilities include teaching marketing and international business at the undergraduate and graduate levels, expanding Belmont’s International Business major, establishing study abroad relationships with foreign universities, and promoting internationalization within the Jack C. Massey College of Business and the greater Nashville community. He also regularly teaches in international study programs, including recent study abroad trips to Spain, France, United Arab Emirates, South Korea, South Africa and Botswana.
He obtained a Doctorate of Philosophy in Business Administration from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, an M.B.A. from Millsaps College, and a Bachelor of Science in French from Mississippi State University. He has also studied at Odense University in Denmark, Birkbeck College in England, and in Clermont-Ferrand, France.
Dr. Overby regularly consults with businesses and organizations specifically in the areas of customer value analysis, international branding, and multicultural marketing. He also serves on the Board of Directors of the International Business Council of the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce and on the Advisory Board of the Turkish American Chamber of Commerce, the Academy of International Business at Hillsboro High School, the Tennessee Chinese Chamber of Commerce, and the Tennessee World Affairs Council. Dr. Overby is a past board member of the Danish American Chamber of Commerce, the German American Chamber of Commerce, the City of Tallahassee International Affairs Council, Jackson Sister Cities, the Southern Regional Chapter of Italy-America Chamber of Commerce in Atlanta, and the Capital Optimist Club in Jackson, Mississippi. He is a member of Sister Cities of Nashville, the American Marketing Association, the Academy of Marketing Science, and the Academy of International Business.
His early career included six years as European Project Manager and Market Research Analyst for Entergy Corporation, four years as a graduate assistant in the College of Business at the University of Tennessee, and five years at Assistant Professor of Marketing and International Business at Florida State University. While at Entergy Corporation, he recruited and managed European direct investment projects targeted at the Middle South region of the United States, and advised small and medium-sized business with their international marketing strategies. While at Florida State, he was part of the core faculty in the International Business program and the faculty advisor to the International Business Association. He also taught each summer in London, England and Valencia, Spain.
Dr. Overby's academic research interests are in the areas of international marketing, international business strategy, cross-cultural consumer behavior, and the ethics of globalization. He has published in a number of leading journals and magazines, including Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science , Journal of Business Research, The CASE Journal, International Marketing Review, Industrial Marketing Management , The Service Industries Journal , Journal of Consumer Marketing, The Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, International Journal of Service Industry Management , International Journal of Management , and Competitive Edge . He has also served as a book reviewer for Prentice Hall, Wiley & Sons, and South-Western Cengage.