Dr. Lakisha Simmons
Email: Dr. Lakisha Simmons
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - University of Mississippi, Management Information Systems, Marketing minor
- B.B.A. - Tennessee State University, Information Systems
- 6 Sigma Black Belt, Caterpillar Financial Services
- IT Business Analyst, Caterpillar Financial Services
- Programmer Analyst, Caterpillar Financial Services
- Cochran, H, Velikova, M, Childs, B., & Simmons, L. L, S. (2015). Apps for Economics. The Journal of Economic Education 46, 2, 231-232. (Acceptance level: 9% per Cabell’s 2015).
- Conlon, S. Abrahams, A., Simmons, L. L, (2015). Terrorism Information Extraction from Online Reports. Journal of Computer Information Systems 55, 3, 20-28. (Acceptance level: 10-15% per Cabell’s 2012).
- Huang, X., Chandra, A., DePaolo, C., & Simmons, L. (2015). Understanding transactional distance in web-based learning environments: An empirical study. British Journal of Educational Technology. DOI: 10.1111/bjet.12263
- Simmons, L. L. & Conlon, S. C. (2013). Extraction of financial information from online business reports. The DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, 44, 3, 34-48. (Acceptance level: 15% per Cabell’s 2013).
- Simmons, L. L., Simmons, C. B., Hayek, M., Parks, R., Mbarika, V.W. (2012). A cultural comparison of eLearning artifacts. Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education 10, 4, 547-574. (Acceptance level: 20% per Cabell’s 2012).
SELECTED AWARDS & HONORS
- Annual Scholarly Activity Award – The COBA Awards (2012-2014)
- Belmont COBA Summer Research Stipend (2013 & 2014)
- Belmont COBA Summer Teaching Stipend (2013)
- Belmont Teaching Center Grant (February 25, 2013)
- Outstanding Faculty Member (Indiana State University) (April 2012)
Recognized by first-year residential students
Dr. Lakisha Simmons earned her undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems from Tennessee State University and an MBA in Technology Management from the University of Phoenix. She also holds a Ph.D. in Management Information Systems with a minor in Marketing from the University of Mississippi. Immediately prior to joining the Belmont University faculty, she taught Business Systems Analysis, Introduction to Management Information Systems, Business Information Tools, and Principles of Marketing at Indiana State University. Prior to receiving her doctorate, Dr. Simmons held several positions with Caterpillar Financial Services, including Programmer Analyst and IT Business Analyst. As a 6Sigma Black Belt at Cat Financial, she was responsible for facilitating and applying 6 Sigma methodologies to diverse improvement and implementation projects.
Her research interests include how technology can improve education, life, and business decisions. She uses mixed methods including information extraction from the Web. Her work has been published in the DATA BASE for Advances in Information Systems, Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, Journal of Computer Information Systems, Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research, MIS Quarterly Executive, and The Journal of Economic Education. Dr. Simmons earned fellowships from the University of Mississippi Graduate School and the International Center for Information Technology and Development (ICITD). She is a member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society.