Dr. Joe Smolira
Dr. Joe Smolira
Associate Professor of Finance
Email: Dr. Joe Smolira
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - University of Kentucky, Finance
- M.B.A. - Marshall University, Business Administration
- B.A. - Wheeling Jesuit University, Business Administration
- Associate Professor of Finance, Belmont University
- Sales representative, Prudential
- Cannonier, C., Faulk, G. K., & Smolira, J. C. (2014). The Impact of the Maturity and Source of the Risk-free Rate in Equity Estimation under the CAPM. Journal of Law and Financial Management, 13 (1), 30-37.
- Smolira, J. C. & Travis, D. H. (2013). A Note on Long Real Interest Rates and the Real Term Structure. Financial Decisions.
- Smolira, J. C. & Travis, D. H. (2011). Applying Options in the Classroom: Selling Calls and Puts on Grades. Journal of Financial Education.
Dr. Joe Smolira has taught at Belmont University since 1999. He received his B.B.A. from Wheeling Jesuit University, M.B.A. from Marshall University and Ph. D. in Finance from the University of Kentucky. His professional education also includes achieving certification from the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP).
His research interests include financial planning, mutual funds, and pedagogy and has appeared in Advances in Financial Planning and Forecasting, Mid-American, Business Journal, The Journal of Investment Consulting, and The Journal of Financial Education.
Dr. Smolira has served on the Board of Directors for the CFA Society of Nashville and as a securities arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. He is a member of The CFA Society of Nashville, GARP, the Financial Management Association, the Southern Finance Association, and other professional organizations.