Dr. Joe Smolira
Dr. Joe Smolira
Associate Professor of Finance
Email: Dr. Joe Smolira
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - University of Kentucky, Finance
- M.B.A. - Marshall University, Business Administration
- B.A. - Wheeling Jesuit University, Business Administration
- Associate Professor of Finance, Belmont University
- Sales representative, Prudential
- Ervin, Danny M., Gregory K. Faulk, and Joseph C. Smolira, 2009, "The Impact of Asset Allocation, Savings and Retirement Horizons, Savings Rates, and Social Security in Retirement Planning: A Monte Carlo Analysis," Financial Services Review, Winter, 18, 313-331
- Jordan, B. D., Jordan, S. D. , Smolira, J. C. , & Travis, D. H. (2008). Do Long Interest Rates Ever Fall? Advances in Financial Planning and Forecasting, 3, 21-36.
- Smolira, J. C. (2008). Student Perceptions of Online Homework in Introductory Finance Courses. Journal of Education for Business, 84 (2), 90-94.
- Faulk, G. K. & Smolira, J. C. (2007). Implementing a Comprehensive Team Project in an Introductory Finance Class. Journal of Financial Education, 33 (74-87).
- Ervin, D. M., Filer, L. H. , & Smolira, J. C. (2005). International Diversification and Retirement Withdrawals. Mid-American Journal of Business, 20 (1), 55-62.
- Ervin, D. M. & Smolira, J. C. (2005). Shortfall Risk, Asset Allocation, and Overfunding a Retirement Account. Southern Business and Economic Journal, 28 (1 & 2), 55-73.
- Jordan, B. D., Jorgenson, R. D. , & Smolira, J. C. (2003). The Performance of Mutual Funds that Close to New Investors. Journal of Investment Consulting, 6 (2), 57-57.
Dr. Joe Smolira has taught at Belmont University since 1999. He received his B.B.A. from Wheeling Jesuit University, M.B.A. from Marshall University and Ph. D. in Finance from the University of Kentucky. His professional education also includes achieving certification from the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP).
His research interests include financial planning, mutual funds, and pedagogy and has appeared in Advances in Financial Planning and Forecasting, Mid-American, Business Journal, The Journal of Investment Consulting, and The Journal of Financial Education.
Dr. Smolira has served on the Board of Directors for the CFA Society of Nashville and as a securities arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. He is a member of The CFA Society of Nashville, GARP, the Financial Management Association, the Southern Finance Association, and other professional organizations.