Dr. Marieta V. Velikova
Dr. Marieta V. Velikova
Associate Professor of Economics
Email: Dr. Marieta Velikova
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D. - Mississippi State University, Applied Economics
- M.A. - Mississippi State University, Financial Economics
- B.A. - Peoples' Friendship University of Russia, Economics: International Relations; French
- Associate Professor of Economics, Belmont University
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Belmont University
- Secretary/interpreter, Kindness Foundation
- Cochran, Jr., H. H., Velikova, M. V., Childs, B. D., & Simmons, L. L. (in press, 2015). Apps for Economics. Journal of Economic Education.
- Cochran, Jr., H. H., Velikova, M. V., & Childs, B. D. (2013). How Course Management Technology Can Facilitate a Multimodal Pedagogy to Enhance Learning. Journal of Learning in Higher Education.
- Arano, K. & Velikova, M. V. (2012). Transportation Corridors and Cointegration of Residential Natural Gas Prices. International Journal of Energy Sector Management.
- Childs, B. D., Cochran, Jr., H. H., & Velikova, M. V. (2012). Factors Contributing to Better Fiscal Conditions among States. Atlantic Economic Journal, 40 (4(2012)).
SELECTED AWARDS & HONORS
- Best Paper Award: International Business Scholarship Trends: An Exploratory Study of the Directions Of Research, Clute Institute Conference (2008)
- Best Paper Award: Real Deposit Insurance Coverage an International Study, Clute Institute Conference (2008)
- Nomination for the 2008-2009 Presidential Faculty Achievement Award, Belmont University (2008)
- Nomination For The 2007 Chaney Award, Belmont University (2008)
- IT'S ALL BELMONT TO ME Award for The First Principle Show We Care, Belmont University (2007)
- The faculty Member Who's Had A Significant Role in Intellectual & Personal Development at Belmont., Alpha Chi Society (2007)
Dr. Velikova received her undergraduate degree from the People's Friendship University of Russia. Her M.A. in Financial Economics and Ph.D. in Applied Economics were both earned at Mississippi State University, where she worked as a research assistant, academic tutor, and instructor of economics.
She teaches economics and international business courses in Belmont University’s Jack C. Massey College of Business, where she also advises members of SIFE, Students in Free Enterprise, and has been involved in the creation of the IB Society, an organization for students interested in international studies.
Her research interests include macroeconomics and monetary economics; however, her primary area of specialization is the effectiveness of deposit insurance coverage in the international banking system, including U.S. banks. An article she authored, entitled "Real Deposit Insurance Coverage at U.S. Banks," has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Business and Leadership: Research, Practice, and Teaching.