Dr. David Wyant
Dr. David Wyant
Assistant Professor of Management
Email: Dr. David Wyant
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Ph.D The University of Minnesota, Health Services Research Policy and Administration, Dissertation: A Derived Demand Model of Hospital's Capital Structure
- M.B.A The Ohio State University, (Finance)
- M.A Economics, The Ohio State University (International Trade)
- B. A University of Oregon German and Russian (Russian)
- B. A University of Oregon Economics (Honors) and History
- Assistant Professor , Belmont University, The Jack C. Massey Graduate School of Business
- Associate Professor, Weber State University, Health Administration Services, Dumke College of Health Professions
Assistant Professor, Western Kentucky University, Health Care Administration, College of
- Health and Human Services
- Assistant Professor, Xavier University, Health Services Administration, College of Social Sciences
- Faculty Associate , University of Iowa, Department of Health Management and Policy College of Public Health, and College of Medicine
- Research Analyst, Minnesota Health Care Commission, Minnesota Legislature
- Research Associate, Hennepin County Hospital and Hennepin County Bureau of Health
- Financial Analyst, Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis
- Financial Planner, Twin Cities Metropolitan Council Health Systems Agency
- Financial Analyst &Management Trainee, First Wisconsin National Bank,
- Consultant (Medicaid Financing), Bureau of Medicaid Policy, Ohio Department of Public Welfare
- Staff Economist, Ohio Nursing Home Commission, Ohio Legislature
- Watkins CM, White J, Duncan DF, Wyant DK, et al. Consumer-Directed Health Insurance vs. Managed Care: Analysis of Health Care Utilization and Expenditures Incurred by
- Employees in a Rural Area (Research in the Sociology of Health Care, Volume 28) 2010
- Wyant DK. HIT Project Selection: Real Option Analysis - Improving Project Selection in Healthcare Settings Journal of Healthcare Information Management 23(1) 56-61 2009
- JHIM Web Exclusive Real Option Analysis: Improving Project Selection in Healthcare Settings An interview with David K Wyant, PhD http://www.himss.org/ASP/jhim_webExclusive_WyantPg1.asp Jan 2009
- Wyant DK. Training Day – Preparing Future Managers for Healthcare IT Journal of Healthcare Information Management. 22 (1) 6-7 2008.
SELECTED AWARDS & HONORS
- Chair of the Information Technology faculty network 2009 -2111 for the Association of University Programs in Healthcare Administration.
- Project won a Yeager award from HFMA for innovative practices in Healthcare Financial Management
- Awarded a research grant from NIH/NCI SEER Special Studies to study a merged database of cancer registry and claims data to analyze factors associated with treatment patterns of breast cancer
- Citation for Outstanding Citizenship by the Ohio State Senate for work with the Ohio Nursing Home Commission
Dr. David K. Wyant joined Belmont in January of 2013 with the beginning of the Healthcare MBA program. He obtained his BA degrees from the University of Oregon, M.A in Economics and M.B.A in Finance from The Ohio State University, and Ph. D in Health Services Research Policy and Administration from the University of Minnesota.
Before entering the teaching field, Dr. Wyant obtained a variety of work experiences involving health services, finance and information technology. As staff of the Ohio Nursing Home Commission, he worked with reimbursement legislation through the process of Commission hearings, legislative committee hearings, rule writing, and implementation by the state government. For his work on that legislation he was awarded a citation for Outstanding Citizenship by the Ohio State Senate. As a consultant for the Ohio Department of Public Welfare he provided input on a number of healthcare financing issues. He has also served as staff for a health systems agency and for the Minnesota Health Care Commission. He has worked on finance issues for a county hospital and for a not –for–profit hospital. He also spent several years as a management trainee and financial analyst with a bank.
Dr. Wyant has taught a variety of finance and healthcare management courses at the University of Minnesota, the University of Iowa, Xavier University and Weber State University. His principal teaching areas are in Healthcare Information Technology, Health Economics, and Financial Management.
His grant awards include funding from the National Institutes of Health to investigate the possibilities of merging healthcare claims data with cancer registry data to study the effectiveness of alternative treatment protocols. His research has been published in leading healthcare journals, including Medical Care, the Journal of Healthcare Information Management, and Community Mental Health Journal. He is active in the Healthcare Financial Management Association, the Association of University Programs in Healthcare Administration, and in the Healthcare Management and Information Systems Society