Summer Accounting Institute (SAI)
The Summer Accounting Institute (SAI) is designed for students who are interested in an accounting career and becoming a CPA but did not pursue accounting as an area of study during their undergraduate degree programs. The SAI offers such individuals the opportunity to fast-track into a Masters of Accountancy (MACC) program by completing the majority of their MACC prerequisite course work in a part-time, 10-week summer format. SAI graduates are ready to stand on equal footing with undergraduates who majored in accounting and prepared to begin their MACC degree programs at the start of the fall semester.
Summer Accounting Institute Overview
- SAI students begin with an on-line “pre-course” that reviews basic accounting principles.
- Annual admission to SAI is limited to 25 students in order to assure personalized instruction.
- The program typcially begins the third Saturday in May and continues through early August - approximately ten weeks.
- Classes are scheduled in a work-friendly format on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:15 - 9:00 PM and Saturdays from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Upon successful completion, graduates enter the MACC in the fall.
Why Choose Belmont's SAI/MACC?
- Only such program of its kind in the Middle Tennessee region
- Fast track through foundational accounting courses in preparation for beginning the MACC
- Discounted tuition for SAI’s 10 graduate-level credits significantly less than regular tuition.
- Significant opportunities for networking with professional accountants, recruiters, and recent graduates.
SAI Application Process
The admission decision is based on the applicant's previous academic record, GMAT score, personal essay and letters of recommendation. Candidates are reviewed on the merits of their application and relative to the merits of the applicant pool for the summer in which they are applying.
In general, applications are reviewed in the order received. Once capacity is reached, any subsequent applications received are added to a wait-list (SAI capacity = 25 students). Admitted students secure their space in the class through payment of a $150 tuition deposit that is applied to their summer tuition. Because admission is competitive and decisions are made on a rolling basis, applicants are encouraged to complete the applications process as early as possible.
Note: the Summer Accounting Institute (SAI) is a prerequisite to the MACC and not listed on Belmont's Graduate Application. Prospective students apply to the MACC for the summer semester and register for the SAI once admitted.
For students interested in pursuit of a new career path leading to a highly respected and valued profession, the SAI/MACC is an outstanding combination.