How to Apply:
Step 1 - Apply to the University
Complete and submit the University application for undergraduate admission by following the instructions here.
Step 2 - Audition for the School of Music
Applicants to the School of Music who wish to major or minor in music are required to complete an audition. Live on-campus auditions are offered on select dates during the academic year; See below for the dates for 2015-16. Under certain circumstances, an applicant may submit a taped (video) audition. Students who apply after the March 19 audition day must submit a video audition. Video auditions should be submitted prior to July 31. Students wishing to pursue a minor in music (classical study in voice or instrument) should contact the School of Music (SOM) at SOMauditions@belmont.edu to schedule an audition.
After submitting the undergraduate application, applicants will receive an email about registering for an audition day online. Once the student registers for the audition of his/her choice, a confirmation email will be sent to the applicant’s email address (as provided on the application). Your application must be submitted at least 3 weeks before your preferred audition day.
- Live Auditions: Refer to the dates below for our live audition opportunities. Live auditions are only available on the dates listed below and are held on Belmont’s campus. The live audition includes the audition for your performing area and major as well as the Basic Musicianship Test.
- Recorded Auditions: Applicants are strongly encouraged to audition in person so they may visit campus. Under special circumstances, a video audition (submitted online) may be allowed for students who apply while live audition dates are available. Musical theatre applicants who apply after the February 6th audition day must submit a video audition. All video auditions must include audio and video. Specific instructions for the video introduction and Basic Musicianship Test will be sent to the applicant's email address (as provided on the applicaiton) once the student registers for the video audition. Do not record any audition materials until the email is received.
Please Note: The instructions provided for recorded auditions are designed so the recorded audition mirrors a live audition as much as possible. Microphones and any production effects may not be used for recorded auditions.
If you need to reschedule your audition, send an email to SOMauditions@belmont.edu or call the School of Music at (615) 460-8307.
Auditions for Entrance to Spring and Fall 2017
For Admission and Music Scholarship Consideration*
- Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016 (Spring 2017 applicants must audition on this date)
- Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017
- Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2017
*Only applicants who audition for a major in the School of Music are considered for music scholarships. School of Music scholarships are awarded in early March each year.
For Admission Only for Fall 2017
- Saturday, March 18, 2017 (Musical Theatre auditions are NOT held on this date. Students must audition in November, January or February for the Musical Theatre program.)
Step 3 - Receive the Admissions Decision
- A University admissions decision will be made when your application is complete with the Office of Admissions.
- The School of Music admissions decision will be made after the University admissions decision has been made and after your audition and Basic Musicianship Test have been completed in the School of Music. (Musical Theatre admission decisions will not be made until March 1.)
- If you have received your University admissions decision prior to your audition, you will receive your audition results within 3-4 weeks after the audition.
- If you have not received the University admissions decision at the time of your audition, you will receive notification of your audition results 3-4 weeks after receiving the University admissions decision.
Step 4 - Accept the Offer of Admission
- When you have made the decision to attend Belmont, complete the Enrollment Confirmation Form by the May 1 National Reply Date (December 1 for Spring applicants). Information about the form will be included in the University admissions acceptance letter.
- Create your MyBelmont account and register to attend Summer Orientation.
- Review important information for new music majors.
Step 5 - Attend Summer Orientation
- Come to campus for the orientation session for which you registered.
- Be prepared to take the piano placement and theory placement tests. These placement tests are usually scheduled the day before your orientation session will begin.
- Meet with School of Music faculty, staff, and peer advisors to learn about class registration (and register for your classes) during orientation.