Student preparation is the key to a successful advising session. Schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor prior to the advising period published on the academic calendar. Students may refer to their degree audit or contact the academic department for their assigned advisor.
New students meet with their academic advisor or advising center during orientation. Refer to the Foundations schedule after registering for new student orientation.
Preparation Checklist for Academic Advising Session:
- Review degree requirements in the effective academic catalog based on your year of entry.
- Review your Degree Works audit through BannerWeb. Remember Degree Works is an advising tool and should not be used in place of your advising session.
- Check your degree, major and minor/emphasis/concentration on the degree audit. • Search for class options in Classfinder.
- Draft a list of classes and alternate class schedule.
- Review your academic record for evaluation of all transfer courses. Official transcripts and test scores are required for evaluation of all transfer coursework. (See transfer policy in the catalog.)
- Petitions for course substitutions or exemptions are initiated with your advisor.
- Inform your advisor of any courses you are petitioning to take at another institution. Students must receive approval by submission of a concurrent enrollment form to the Office of the Registrar prior to taking courses at another institution.
- Listen and communicate during your advising session.
Advisors are helpful and resourceful when assisting students with their degree planning. However, students are primarily responsible for being knowledgeable and satisfying all degree requirements.
Academic advising holds are placed on all undergraduate degree seeking student accounts each semester prior to registration. The hold is released by the advisor or academic department upon completion of the advising session. Students are required to meet with their assigned academic advisor each semester and active advisor holds prohibits registration.