If you feel that a spill may be hazardous, take the following actions immediately:
- NEVER attempt to contain or clean up a hazardous material spill unless you are trained to do so.
- Alert personnel in the vicinity and evacuate the area.
- Close all doors and turn off air conditioners and heaters, if safe to do so.
- Activate the fire alarm pull station as you exit the building.
- Call Campus Security at ext. 6911 or (615) 460-6911 to report the spill when you reach a safe location.
- Be prepared to provide the following information to the dispatcher:
- Your name, location, and call back number
- Identity of the spilled chemical (if known) and the amount spilled
- Location of the spill (building, room number, etc.)
- Known or suspected hazards associated with the spill
- If personnel have been exposed to the spill, give details on the extent of exposure and any injuries or symptoms the victim(s) may be experiencing.
- Remain at the location to meet responders when they arrive and warn others from entering the area.
- If anyone had contact with the hazardous material, they should be isolated and await treatment by emergency personnel.
- Do not re-enter the building until told to do so by emergency personnel.
- If you are aware of anyone who is still in the building after the evacuation or has been injured by the chemical, report it to the emergency personnel immediately.
- Notify Risk Management at (615) 460-6766.
In addition, the following actions may be taken as appropriate:
- Remove contaminated clothing.
- Flush the affected area with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes.
- Provide first aid if necessary and you are trained to do so.