Environmental Policies & Procedures
Health & Safety
Insurance Policy and Process Information
Forms and Policies
If you see a fire or smell smoke:
If you are trapped and cannot evacuate:
- Activate the closest fire alarm pull station along your evacuation route.
- Notify others as you leave.
- Call Campus Security at ext. 6911 or (615)460-6911 and report the emergency after you are out of the building and safe.
- If the fire is small enough, you may attempt to extinguish it with a portable fire extinguisher, ONLY IF:
- The fire alarm pull station has been activated
- Campus Security at ext. 6911 or (615) 460-6911 has been notified
- You are properly trained Response to the Fire Alarm
- If the alarm sounds and/or emergency strobes begin to blink, evacuate immediately.
- Never assume that a fire alarm is a false alarm.
- Exit the area immediately
- Attempt to maintain a calm and orderly exit.
- Close all doors as you leave, taking keys and medications with you if possible. DO NOT delay evacuation to retrieve these items. Do not prop doors open.
- If leaving a room, feel the door with the back of your hand before opening it. Do not open any door that feels hot.
- If smoke is present, stay low. The best quality air is near the floor.
- Always use the stairs to exit upper floors.
- Do not use the elevator.
- Once the building is evacuated, do not re-enter it for any reason. Return to the building only when instructed to do so by emergency responders or administrators.
- Do not return for personal belongings.
- Direct and assist visitors and persons with disabilities who appear to need direction or assistance.
- Notify Campus Security ext. 6911 or (615) 460-6911) that a fire has occurred after you exit the building.
- Close any doors between you and the fire.
- If available, wedge wet towels or cloth materials along the bottom of the door to keep out smoke.
- Call Campus Security at ext. 6911 or (615) 460-6911 and notify the dispatcher of your location.
- Remain on the phone with the dispatcher as long as possible.
- Break a window only as a last resort, such as needing oxygen to breathe.
- Use caution when breaking any window.