Building occupants should exit the building as quickly and quietly as possible without touching anything that is not absolutely necessary to touch in order to get out of the building. All cell phones should be turned off. Elevators should not be used. Occupants should then proceed to the exterior safety location, without reentering the building until told they may do so by Campus Security. No one may enter the building until the building has been declared safe by emergency personnel.
Employees are responsible for ensuring that everyone in their areas evacuate the building and for notifying emergency personnel if anyone remains in the building.
ALL bomb threats and suspicious packages must be treated as a serious matter.
You receive a bomb threat via phone:
- REMAIN CALM
- Keep the caller on the line as long as possible.
- Listen carefully to the caller’s voice and words.
- Record the time and caller ID number if shown.
- Ask the caller the following questions and write down the answers as soon as possible:
- Where is the bomb?
- When will it explode?
- What does the bomb look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- What is your name?
- Are you an employee/student?
- Where are you calling from?
- Write down any information such as:
- Background noises
- Gender of the caller
- Voice pitches and patterns
- Any other information that stands out or seems unusual to you
- Immediately Call Campus Security at ext. 6911 or (615) 460-6911 to report the incident.
- If the bomb or suspicious package is discovered, do not handle the package. Get away.
- Do not use cell phones, radios, or other wireless devices in the building or area.
- Public safety personnel will advise regarding evacuation.
- If evacuation is ordered, look around as you exit for anything suspicious or out of place. If you noticed anything suspicious while evacuating, tell public safety personnel.
- Upon exiting the building, assemble outside and remain until instructed it is safe to return.
- Follow all instructions from Campus Security.
- Do not re-enter the building unless told to do so by public safety personnel or building manager.