BFA - Directing
- Appreciate theatre-making as a cultural event which is ultimately poetic, operating metaphorically by offering layers of meaning in order to represent, question, and impact an infinitely complex world.
- Demonstrate knowledge of theatre history, literature, theory, and the various collaborative artists that contribute to the design and production process.
- Engage in the theatrical rehearsal and performance process both as an exploration of human life and as a deeply meaningful act of human communication.
- Perform comprehensive textual analysis for deeper thematic elements, unfolding dramatic action, and character development in order to facilitate the collaborative, conceptual process and to shape the creative product.
- Embrace the process of storytelling inherent in the creation of theatre through the synthesis of the analytical, performance, and production process.
The Directing Emphasis is designed for students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies in the field of theatrical direction. The Directing emphasis is a foundational degree giving the student the necessary tools and techniques required for pursuing graduate study. The Directing emphasis will prepare students for the diverse challenges of graduate studies and the subsequent professional employment as a theatrical director.