A student worker showing his phone to a staff member

Student Employment

Student Financial Services

One of the best ways to get involved at Belmont is by working on campus! On-Campus Employment provides students with financial support in pursuit of their academic goals and opportunities for academic, administrative and business-related job experience. The job duties and responsibilities of student employees vary greatly, and may or may not be related to the student’s field of study.

Belmont offers a job fair during Welcome Week in August. If you're unable to attend, available job openings will always be posted at jobs.belmont.edu

Types of Student Employment:

Belmont Student Employees (BSE)
Belmont Student Employees (BSE) make up the majority of student workers on campus and are a valuable asset to the greater university community.  BSE student wages are solely paid for by the department for which they work.

Federal Work Study (FWS)
Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a financial aid program that allows students to work on-campus or with approved off-campus community service employers to earn money to pay for college expenses.  Eligible students are awarded FWS when they complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Learn more about Federal Work Study

Student Employment Policies

To be eligible for BU Student Employment:

Belmont Student Employees
Undergraduate Students: must be currently enrolled at Belmont University and actively pursuing a degree program during the semester in which he/she is employed.

Graduate Students:  must be currently enrolled at Belmont University and actively pursuing a degree program during the semester in which he/she is employed.  (Note: Graduate Assistantships, Internships, and Practicum opportunities are separate from the BU Student Employment process and are administered through academic departments.  See your Graduate department for specific guidelines and policies regarding your Graduate Assistantship).

Federal Work-Study
Undergraduate Students:  students seeking a FWS position must currently be enrolled full-time with at least twelve (12) semester hours of credit at Belmont University. Students who fall below full-time status can have their eligibility reviewed on an individual basis by Student Financial Services.  Students who seek FWS eligibility must also meet the following requirements:

  • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Request ‘Federal Work-Study’ on the FAFSA
  • Be eligible to receive Federal Financial Aid
  • Have unmet financial need

Graduate Students:  these students are typically not awarded Federal Work-Study, however, they can inquire and apply for FWS on an individual basis by contacting Student Financial Services.

International students in lawful F-1 and J-1 status are eligible to work on campus if enrolled for a full course of study. Eligible international students must not work in excess of 20 hours per week due to visa restrictions. During semester breaks and during the summer semester international students may work up to 40 hours per week. Once offered a job, the international student must obtain a Social Security card from the Social Security Administration prior to working.

To increase your chances of finding a job early on, students are strongly encouraged to attend the annual Student Employment Job Fair. Dates and locations are announced annually. If you miss the Job Fair, no worries! You can view and apply for job postings

If you are applying for an on-campus position, check out sample resumes and interview tips and schedule an appointment to discuss your search with your career specialist through Handshake. (Handshake also features off-campus part-time and full-time positions, as well as internship opportunities.) Questions? careerdevelopment@belmont.edu

All applications for employment are to be submitted electronically from the online job posting. After submitting your application electronically, be patient as you wait for the Hiring Manager to contact you for the next step.

Once you have been hired by the department and complete the necessary hiring forms with your manager, congratulations, you may now begin working! 

All student employees are required to complete paperwork upon being hired.  These forms must be completed at Belmont Central prior to the student’s first day of work:

I-9 Form: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all employers to verify the employment authorization and identity of each person hired. To satisfy the record keeping requirements of the law, all students employed must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9).  It is the responsibility of each department to see that these forms are completed before the student begins their first day of work.  It is the responsibility of the student to provide proof of citizenship status by providing documentation as listed on the I-9 (see List of Acceptable Documents for approved documents). International students may require other forms of verification.

W-4 Tax Form: Each student employed by Belmont University must have a current W-4 form (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) on file with the Payroll Department.  

Direct Deposit (optional):  The most efficient and effective way to receive your monthly paycheck is by having it directly deposited into your checking/savings account.  Enrollment is free and is strongly encouraged.  Complete form at Belmont Central.

All student employees (BSE and FWS) may work up to, but not more than 20 hours a week during periods of enrollment as a student, except during breaks and holidays at which time students may work up to 29 hours a week with approval. The actual number of hours worked must be recorded by the student employee and verified by the supervisor.

Multiple Jobs
Students wishing to have a more diverse work experience on campus are allowed to be employed in up to, but not more than two (2) campus jobs at one time.  Students should carefully consider the weight of their class schedule and their ability to meet their academic goals prior to taking on multiple employment opportunities.

Academic Priority
Students are prohibited from working during their scheduled class times. Students should provide a copy of their class schedule to their supervisor each semester and arrange a work schedule that does not interfere with meeting their academic goals.

On-Campus Student Workers (FWS and BSE)
Students working on-campus should submit their hours worked on the 1st business day of each month by using the new Web Time Entry (WTE) system.

Off-Campus Student Workers (FWS Only):

Students working off-campus with a community service agency to earn their Federal Work-Study award need to complete a paper Time Sheet each month and submit it to the Belmont Payroll Department (Fidelity Hall 218) on the 1st business day of each month.

Paychecks for all students are issued the 2nd Friday of each month and can either be picked up at Belmont Central or directly deposited into the student’s designated checking/savings account.  Direct Deposit enrollment is free and is strongly encouraged.  Go to Belmont Central to enroll.

Pay Rates
Belmont Student Employees

– BSE students are paid no less than $10 per hour.  At times, BSE students may be paid a higher rate depending on department funding, job responsibilities, and other factors.  

Federal Work-Study
– FWS students who work on-campus are paid no less than $10 per hour.  At times, FWS students may be paid a higher rate depending on job responsibilities and other factors.

– FWS students working with an approved off-campus community service agency are paid $15 per hour because transportation costs (fuel, auto expenses, etc.) are taken into consideration. 


General Employment Guidelines
Belmont University promotes professionalism and integrity in the workplace.  Student employees are expected to adhere to these practices at all times. This means coming to work on-time, dressing in a manner that is appropriate for the job (see supervisor for specific dress code for your area), working the set scheduled hours that have been assigned, notifying supervisor at least two-weeks in advance if requesting time-off, and completing in a satisfactory manner the tasks assigned by the supervisor. Failing to show up for a scheduled shift shows a lack of professionalism and could result in termination.  If a student has an illness, however, they should contact their supervisor with as much notice as possible.  Not meeting these expectations and any additional expectation established by the supervisor could result in job termination, cancellation of Federal Work-Study awards (if applicable), and/or the inability to be rehired for other future student employment opportunities at Belmont University.  It is a courteous practice that a student employee needing to resign from their position should give at least a 2-week notice to their supervisor.

Sexual Harrassment
Belmont University maintains an environment for work and study free from sexual harassment. You are encouraged to report concerns or complaints. Please review the Sexual Harassment Policy prior to your first day of work.

FERPA Tutorial 
Student workers must review and agree to the terms and conditions of  the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. Please access this link to review.